The Mathematics Education Collaborative (MEC) works with districts to build local leadership capacity and community support for quality mathematics in schools.
The MEC Community Engagement Model actively involves the whole community, by uniting educators, families and community members in support of quality mathematics in schools. A well-informed community:
- recognizes the value of providing appropriate learning experiences for all students, teachers and administrators
- ensures that districts maintain a continuing focus on improving mathematics teaching and learning
- supports and advocates for appropriate innovation in mathematics education.
MEC’s leadership component builds local leadership capacity to ensure engaged communities and quality mathematics programs in schools. Mathematics leaders in partnership districts learn to provide:
- classrooms that model best practices
- interactive workshops for parents and community members
- professional development for K-12 teachers of mathematics
- ongoing support for site administrators
- guidance in textbook adoption and mathematics curriculum development
- recommendations to address other mathematics education needs of participating regions / districts.
MEC in-service sessions are described in detail in the professional development section.