MEC professional development and community outreach offerings bring K-20 teachers of mathematics, administrators, students, parents, and community members together in pursuit of and support for high quality 21st Century mathematics programs in schools. The cornerstone of all sessions lies in MEC’s Principles of Design which guide all offerings to model how to meet a range of learner needs without labeling students. Participants engage in what we think of as ‘expandable tasks’ – tasks that allow access to struggling learners, while challenging even very mathematically astute learners to take mathematics in deep and worthwhile directions. Sessions enhance participants’ knowledge of content, instructional strategies, and how people learn mathematics.
- MEC’s in-service sessions focus on:
- Community Engagement: Math Nights and Community-Business Advocacy Committees for educators, parents and community members
- Mathematics: Content courses for K-20 educators
- Seminars with university and college facultyLeadership: Sessions for current and future mathematics leaders
- Higher Ed-MEC Partnerships: Seminars with university and college faculty
MEC leaders and a team of expert instructors facilitate MEC sessions. Each MEC instructor has years of successful experience as a classroom teacher and extensive experience working with adults.
INTERESTED IN HOSTING A MEC EVENT? PLEASE CONTACT US FOR SCHEDULING INFORMATION.