A Unifying Theme of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
This 4-day workshop engages teachers across grades 4 – 14 as learners while modeling fully the Standards for Mathematical Practice (SMP) that are at the heart of the CCSS.
The workshop focuses on the core CCSS content for Expressions and Equations across grades 6 through 8. Participants deepen their understanding of the mathematics of expressions and equations and learn how to bring the Standards for Mathematical Practice to life in their classrooms. Participants engage as independent problem solvers and in small collaborative groups with tasks that are classroom appropriate. Assessment practices that optimize student learning are modeled.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions,
- Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities,
- Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables,
- Use properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions,
- Solve real-life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations,
- Work with radicals and integer exponents,
- Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations.
INTERESTED IN THIS WORKSHOP? PLEASE CONTACT US FOR SCHEDULING INFORMATION.