Experience the Beauty of Mathematics With Your Child
The following websites connect families and students to mathematical challenge problems, math humor, and statistics that can help students develop a disposition to learn mathematics. Other links connect family members to websites that provide public awareness and strategies that can be used to help children learn mathematics.
This website provides resources and online courses for students, parents, and educators.
This website provides fun math games and puzzles.
- Centre for the Popularization of Mathematics, University of Wales, Bangor
This site is tied to an initiative on raising public awareness of mathematics and highlights mathematics in nature and the world.
- Figure This!, National Council for Teaching Mathematics (NCTM)
Figure This! is one section of the Family Corner from the National Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM). Figure This! provides mathematical challenges for middle-school students and families to solve together. The Family Corner offers a variety of other resources for parents, family members and others interested in helping children learn mathematics.
- The Math Forum: Student Center, from the School of Education at Drexel University
This website includes Ask Dr. Math, Weekly/Monthly Challenges and many other features for students and parents.
- Math Forum’s Area for Parents & Concerned Citizens, from the School of Education at Drexel University
This site provides resources, materials, activities, person-to-person interactions, and more.
- Helping Children Learn Mathematics, 2002: National Academy Press
Readable online report describing what it means to be successful in mathematics, how school math needs to change, and what parents, teachers, administrators and policy makers can do. Go to the bottom of page to read the text online.